Thursday, July 19, 2012

Slow Ironman Recovery

It has been nearly four weeks since Ironman CDA, recovery still looms ahead many weeks. There are not many weeks to count between now and Ironman Hawaii. Taking two complete weeks off swim/bike/run while fishing in Canada only a day after returning to Colorado, I participated in Boulder Peak Triathlon. It was a difficult time racing without any of the horsepower I was used to, knowing there was no spark from being drained from a recent Ironman. After winning last year, as well as the Boulder Tri Series win for my Age Group, all on an average of 3.5 to 4 hours total training a week--the focus has shifted from short to long course once again. The results and training are very different.

The "A" races in 2011 were not all that serious due to the limited training time, which was nothing more than a down year from Ironman. However, the results were somewhat surprising to me given such little training. Yes, results were quite excellent while the motivation and goals were not that important aside from going through the motions and hoping to not get too embarrassed with dismal performance.

With the goal to race long in 2012, the hours, nutrition and rest all increased greatly. The same 2011 "A" races are now considered "C" and "B" races in 2012. Who in their right mind would race a sprint, then an Ironman a week later, train once (a 9 min/mile 4 mile run)during a TWO weeks period, then hop in one of the most competitive Olympic Distance races in the USA? Not to mention having extensor tendinitis in both feet. That is what happened, that is how it went down.

Currently, training is a chore at best just trying to turn the pedals over. Nearly pulling over on a climb to Ward yesterday, the question of how long will it take to get my "pizaz" back came to mind. Having run once since the Boulder Peak due to the tendinitis and only having swam once, the Boulder 70.3 is not looking too prospective to even start. Yes, doubts if whether that weekend could be used for recovery rather than another "also ran race" are certainly key to think about for Hawaii preparation.

We are getting close to Hawaii, closer than I care to think about. Each time, Hawaii is just a "go through the motions" race with little emphasis on actually competing. It is more just participating. The course does not suit my strengths being as hot as it is there. For some reason getting to Hawaii is something I normally can get myself UP for to compete and qualify, even above what my fitness should let me. Mentally, the qualifier races are something that I'm able to raise up to meet the challenge, putting the pedal to the metal and pushing through pain that normally could not be pushed through.

With the upcoming Boulder 70.3, knowing half iron races are my absolute WORST distance to race, I'm concerned recovery from CDA is not going as it should. Sure eating well is helping, as is the extra weekend rest and reduced training volume. Seriously, something has to change in the next couple weeks. If the tendinitis can subside, there may be a profound change in my current approach to Kona. It sure would be nice to run and swim again pain free!

Taking a look ahead to the near future, obviously it would be nice to ramp up swim and run training. It would also be enjoyable to not race a 70.3 and get my butt kicked. As I've said, my worst distance between sprint, oly, half & full is definitely the half. Finally, it sure would be nice to actually not have nutrition or bonk issues in Kona, thereby completing something I consider respectable of a time there. What is that? Anything under 10 would be nice. Preferably something faster than my best there which is really not that fast considering what some times on other courses have been. Out of what will be 10 starts this year (from 15 KQ's), only ONE has NOT been between 10 and 10.5. Talk about consistency! While not a blazing fast athlete by any means, the one thing that I do have on my side is consistency. Since I'm in this sport for longevity, it seems there are still many, many years to keep attempting some form of improvement or milestones before old age decreases the ability too much.

Okay Hawaii...here we go again, give me just ONE good race for once, something that is not on par with all the other Kona starts. After all, those lava rocks I brought back to the mainland from my first trip there and then sent back to your Chamber of Commerce has to count for something doesn’t it? I thought the bad luck ended when the rocks were returned…



No comments:

Post a Comment