Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Potato Training


With Cour de Alene on the horizon I figured it was something I should write about today, and reflect on how the common goals of others can bring them all together whether they plan it or not at the oddest times. Saturday I was heading out for a ride and within a mile I came upon a couple cyclists--one of which had a tri bike & 3 bottles, so I asked her a bit about her training day ahead and plans for the season. The other was a former professional cyclist. Here are a few pictures of "Alicia" and myself take by Michelle on our way to Carter Lake. We spent nearly all of 35 miles chit-chatting away about tri geeky stuff, and comparing notes on the CDA course. Alicia had done CDA several times, and enjoyed the race. I peeled off once at Carter to finish my ride while she continued to Masonville.


The following day, for kicks, I decided I wanted to ride out & around Carter again (both up the North side for Larry in case he wants to know...). When I got to the Broadway/36 intersection, another triathlete on a Cervelo just happened to be heading out at the same time...nearly the same place I met up with Alicia & Michelle the day before. I got talking to Michael, a kid (26) who was of all things, on his long ride training for Ironman CDA! Bizzzzzaro! Two days, two people, at the same place both training for CDA. He was riding out around Carter as well...so we ended up riding the entire time together, chit chatting away, and of course I milked him for information about the course. While I didn't get a picture that day, I did have some fun riding with fellow athletes who were all going out for the same training rides for the same race and had some good laughs and conversation. The wind waned after a few hours just from being lost in conversation, but one thing for sure is that no matter when you are doing activity that may seem like it will be a solo effort--it can turn into a team effort with laughs and learning involved. Not just about training, but about people themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment