Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Short Long Ride--81+ miles
















It was dumb luck I had just reached the Gateway Park entrance/exit as the "Gateway Ride" was leaving. Any given ride has 40-80 riders depending on the day. These rides have included local pros such as Tyler Hamilton and a cast of Cat 1, 2, 3, 4 & the misplaced triathlete (myself!) The first 10 riders peeled out of Gateway as I meandered my way into formation. What struck me as odd was the yo-yo affect large groups of roadies have. One minute we're all tootling around chatting, then the next we're all hanging on for dear life. When I was in the fourth row of rotation for pulling the near 70 riders, I realized there is no way I should even be with a group such as this as I was fighting off the remains of a cold for the second week. Wisely, I peeled off to the side and sat in the back of the peloton, and decided to hang on for dear life that way as most triathletes do not have the large close & personal riding technique that roadies have. Translated, it was safer to have me out of the way--in the back. When we finally hit 24.5 miles in 1 hr, 32 seconds, and the pace kept cranking up from there, I decided to drop off the group and ride my own pace. Okay, honestly...I blew sky high and was the third or fourth from the peloton to blow sky high. There was a straggler up ahead, maybe 100 yards, so I used what little TT ability left in my legs to catch him and pull him back up to a pack of four. From there I have no idea. Upon getting to the base of the climb at Carter Lake, the entire peloton was strung out with about 20 left at the front and gaining distance on whoever was left. Some riders had turned around with their tails between their legs & headed back in the direction of Boulder. I rode to the top of Carter Lake, stopped at the top and snapped a few digital pictures. From there, the new couple of miles took me about 15 minutes to get through with all the picture taking.

It was such a sunny day out I couldn't resist getting some shot which you see here with this entry. Simon Lessing & Chrissy Wellington were stopped at the top of Carter Lake, but those were the only "famous" triathletes I recognized. The goal was to get some good photos, a long ride in, and a little intensity--okay, but not THAT kind of intensity. But it was fun anyhow. The total ride ended up being 81 miles but with around 30 miles left I somehow got a slow leak in the rear tire. I only had one CO2 so had to stop & nurse the tire back to Boulder. Sure the spare tube would have worked, but why waste it when the tire was toast anyhow? What I really needed was a new tire...oh, and to close the valve stem the entire way (which is where the slow leak was actually at). I spun my way back home going at times only 12 mph into a headwind. There I had the distance, intensity, a little repair practice, good company, scenery--so the ride was a success! I got to follow that up with a easy 1,000 yard "loosen up swim" later that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment