Tuesday, October 2, 2012

2012 Hawaii Ironman (PRE RACE)

Now that I am all packed for Kona, Hawaii & ready to leave next week, I was finally able to get out for a bike ride today with a swim preceding that. During today's ride I knew one of the things really needing to get done for a mental relief prior to leaving, was update my blog. Undoubtedly, there will be some viewing this blog because friends said they would keep an eye out for a "Kona update" from me here. What to write about though? This should not be a problem as I have plenty to say about a lot of things--no matter what subject it is.


Why so many athletes feel the need to create blog entries prior to races or after races (as in race reports), or Twit on Twitter more frequently, I think I have the answer. It may be a way to calm the nerves/inner self, or sandbag to the public/fellow competitors, brag/psych-out their competitors, or even because they have more time on their hands and do not know what to do with themselves during the taper (too much time on their hands). There could be a lot of reasons. I think one of those reasons at least, may in fact be one for this update, although writing period does seem to be an outlet for me regardless.

The summary of how the last five weeks of preparation have gone...last week was a little over seven hours total training, the week before the same at 7:11. The three weeks prior to that I was sick for the entire three weeks. There were a few short 1 hour or less workouts despite being sick, so we're looking at around only 16-18 hours total for the last month. Certainly not enough to say I'm overtrained. Post Kona-Qualifying visions for this same time period were a large volume build with some decent speedwork. It turns out I'm riding the wave early season fitness because that vision I had is 180 degrees in the opposity direction of the reality. If anything it'll be a "super taper" sort to speak. Not sure what I'd be tapering from, but it doesn't matter as there is nothing I can do at this point but put all the internal negative thoughts in the bottom of the sea. The best approach at this time is to not panic train and utilize the experience I've built over 23 other Ironman races. Pacing & nutrition are the best allies come race day, it is the one thing we as races come to realize after all is said and done--boiling Ironman strategy down to the most basic principles to follow.

Expectations? Certainly. I expect it to be hot, windy and not to my liking. However, I welcome the challenge because I will continue to keep going back (now every OTHER YEAR to Kona--should I qualify those years), to attempt to conquer the demons that meet me at this race each time. Heat has always been my biggest enemy, nope, I do NOT like the heat in any way, shape or form. This is why I have chosen IM CDA as a qualifier race for me the last three times. It is pretty much considered a "cool" to "cold" race where I excel. As the last race of the year it is my expectation to also continue my quest to become a better athlete with this race lending inspiration to the coming years of racing as well as to the athletes I coach.

Looking back on a somewhat successful amateur career and being (in the Twilight of my best race years), the age of where "decline begins" for the male endurance athlete, it has been a fun ride thus far. The goal is to continue the lifestyle & stave off age and diminishing results best I can. Taking NO for a stance to Father Time, I'll continue to strive to prove him wrong that I'll slow from this day forward. Some days I feel like this has already happened while other days it feels as if I'm still improving with all the same intensity and excitement of my younger years. Whether the little dude with horns says, "I can't" on one shoulder--or the one with wings on the other shoulder says, "I CAN", no matter what happens race day as an end result is not going to stop the future process or lifestyle. The FINISH line is not the finish/end result, ever. It is always simply a new BEGINNING that I look forward to each day my eyes open to when the alarm clock goes off before getting out of bed. 

1 comment:

  1. So, back to Kona, huh? I'm in the middle of final production for the interview you did with Steve and me over the summer at your house. I just finished the part where you talked about your Kona experiences. I thought I would bounce over here to your blog to see what you were up to nowadays, so I could write an up-to-date biography for the post.

    We're scheduling it for release in our Oct. 19th newsletter. I'll send you a link to preview and approve it before it goes out. The documentary will come down the road. We're still working on getting one more interview in before we close down that part of the project. Right now we're featuring the interviews in podcasts and our twice a month newsletter. Here's the link to sign up for the newsletter if you want to see the final product: http://90revolutions.com/newsletter-signup

    We're also in the process of developing the management software we discussed this summer. We're hoping it is ready around March/April of 2013 in time for the next tri season. Would you mind it if we contacted you and got your feedback from a coaching perspective. Initially, we were gearing the software toward athletes who train on their own. We're considering adding another program designed to support coaches in managing their athletes. We'd really appreciate your perspective. Please let me know if you'd be willing. The best way to contact me if via email at jody@90revolutions.com.

    Best of luck in Kona. Have fun and keep fighting those demons!

    ReplyDelete